Click Free Pest Control Quote
to fill in a form to obtain a free pest control quote today.
A statute of limitation places a time limit on how long a person has to file a claim in court. Civil legal matters must be handled expediently and cannot be pursued indefinitely. For example, in New Jersey, breach of contract and fraud causes of action are both claims to which a statute of limitations apply. (The fraud referred to in this blog is common law fraud and is not derived from any statute.)
A breach of contract is defined as failing to perform any term of a contract, written or oral, without a legitimate legal excuse. This may include not completing a job, not paying in full or on time, being late without excuse, or any act which shows the party will not complete the work previously agreed upon.
Fraud is not mere dishonesty. It is calculated. Fraud is a misrepresentation that intends to mislead the innocent party and causes damage to that party. Fraud can also arise by omission (i.e. intentionally failing to disclose preexisting termite damage in a real estate transaction). Fraud claims can arise in many situations including real estate transactions, shareholder and partnership disputes, improper conduct of officers or shareholders of a corporation and in sales of any kind.
In any case where a statute of limitation defense is asserted, the court will determine if the claim was filed timely. In these situations, the person making the claim (the plaintiff) is responsible for proving that his or her case is not barred by the statute of limitation.
The New Jersey statute of limitations for breach of contract and fraud are as follows:
A non-sales contract simply means a contract which does not involve the sale of goods (goods generally are anything that you can move). Anyone making a claim based on such an agreement, has six years to file a lawsuit. The cause of action accrues (the date when the clock starts ticking) when the breach occurred.
Where the breach of contract involves the sale of goods, New Jersey follows a four year period of limitation.
New Jersey follows a six year statute of limitation for fraud. The clock starts ticking as of the date of the act or omission that led to the fraud claim.
For claimants who are out of time, there still may be hope. New Jersey follows the Discovery Rule. The Discovery Rule is a judicially-created mechanism that in some cases allows the injured party to still pursue a claim beyond the traditional statute of limitation. In such situations, the statute of limitation is calculated from the time period that the person discovers the injury or harm or from the point in time when the injury or harm should have been discovered. However, the Discovery Rule does not apply to contracts involving the sale of goods.
If you or your business has been aggrieved in any way, be mindful of statute of limitations issues and do not sit and wait. Contact the Law Office of H. Benjamin Sharlin LLC for an initial free consultation.
The Law Office of H. Benjamin Sharlin LLC is owned and operated by H. Benjamin Sharlin and serves all of Mercer County, New Jersey and the surrounding areas. Mr. Sharlin is a bilingual Spanish-speaking attorney who vigorously represents the interests of all his clients.
Please be advised that this blog is for informational purposes only, is not legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship.
See original here:
NJ Statutes of Limitation for Breach of Contract and Fraud
- Pesticide Applicator Information - March 12th, 2019
- Texas Leaf Cutting Ant - Insects in the City - March 6th, 2019
- Find an Attorney - Terminix Complaints - Real Stories from ... - February 22nd, 2019
- Louis Farrakhan: Im Not An Anti-Semite. Im Anti-Termite ... - February 3rd, 2019
- Contact PolyOne Today | Quick Contact Form - February 3rd, 2019
- Arizona Forum - Relocation, Moving, General and Local City ... - October 6th, 2018
- Black Widow Termite and Pest Control in Manhattan New York - September 4th, 2018
- Phone Losers of America home of The Snow Plow Show wacky ... - August 5th, 2018
- OnCap Anti-Rodent & Anti-Termite Technology | PolyOne - August 5th, 2018
- Apitherapy - Wikipedia - July 23rd, 2018
- Dont Confuse Bed Bugs with These Misdiagnosed Conditions - July 13th, 2018
- Facts About Termites - Where do the different species live? - May 23rd, 2018
- Termite Damage Claims Lawyer Mobile | Small Business ... - May 22nd, 2018
- Slowing tax refunds aimed at cutting fraud :: WRAL.com - May 21st, 2018
- Fake companies, fake workers: State battling new type of ... - May 18th, 2018
- Accused ISIS recruiter pleads guilty to fraud, tax charges ... - May 10th, 2018
- Reasons to Cancel a Pest Control Agreement | Legalbeagle.com - April 27th, 2018
- Planet Orange - 22 Photos & 493 Reviews - Pest Control ... - April 6th, 2018
- Sellers Disclosure of Property Condition - HouseDefects.com - April 5th, 2018
- News & Updates - Standards Australia - March 15th, 2018
- Duty to Disclose for Sellers in Florida Residential Real ... - March 7th, 2018
- Termite Building Code / Pest Control / Business Services ... - December 25th, 2017
- Green Explored: Bloom Energy Ecofraud in Delaware This Year - December 21st, 2017
- Pest Control Pest Management and Termite Inspection ... - December 16th, 2017
- Conehead Termite Program / Termites / Protect Your Home ... - November 26th, 2017
- Metrobank says arrest made after P900-M fraud report | ABS ... - October 22nd, 2017
- UPDATE: Refund for Cash Plus investors will definitely ... - October 1st, 2017
- Financial Review: ServiceMaster Global Holdings (SERV) vs. Lifelock (LOCK) - TrueBlueTribune - September 2nd, 2017
- Fight to fund Honolulu's rail continues Monday at a special legislative session - KITV Honolulu - August 31st, 2017
- Lifelock (LOCK) vs. ServiceMaster Global Holdings (SERV) Head to Head Review - Week Herald - August 31st, 2017
- Comparing ServiceMaster Global Holdings (SERV) and Lifelock (LOCK) - StockNewsTimes - August 27th, 2017
- Fraud Headlines | Association of Certified Fraud Examiners - August 13th, 2017
- Short-term thinking keeps Australia stuck in crisis - Business Insider Australia - August 7th, 2017
- Florida man caught with his crime to-do list - KNSS - August 1st, 2017
- Daily Technical Summary Reports on Business Services Stocks -- Ritchie Bros. Auctioneers, Rollins, Cardtronics, and ... - SYS-CON Media (press... - July 11th, 2017
- Life after Croman - The Real Deal Magazine - July 4th, 2017
- IRS summertime tax tip 2017-01: Tips to know for deducting losse ... - WKOW - July 4th, 2017
- What is Termite Fraud in Alabama? - Real Estate Legal ... - June 29th, 2017
- Pest Control and Termite Inspection Insurance | Wallace ... - June 11th, 2017
- We name stink da road the Banes/Nanes debacle - Breaking Belize News (blog) - June 6th, 2017
- VIAGRA GENERIC 100MG - cialis best price - State Column - May 11th, 2017
- Tim Moss Answers Your Home Remodeling & Repair Questions - WBT - May 9th, 2017
- Owner of Oklahoma tornado shelter company charged with embezzlement - KOKH FOX25 - May 5th, 2017
- Charlotte Termite Companies, Best Termite Protection ... - April 6th, 2017
- Learn About Costa Rica's Largest Eco Developer: Kalia Living - The Costa Rica Star - March 24th, 2017
- Marcos loyalists ask House to endorse impeachment rap vs. Robredo - CNN Philippines - March 22nd, 2017
- A campaign to unseat - The Manila Times - March 13th, 2017
- Professor Miller and the Bottomless Pit of Academia - Conatus News - March 12th, 2017
- MOLLY'S COLUMN | Valley Roadrunner - Valley Roadrunner - March 9th, 2017
- The Home Improvement Show 10am, Paul LaGrange - WWL First News - March 1st, 2017
- DeMarcus Cousins brings out the fighting side of Holley and Keefe (Round Two!) - WEEI.com - February 22nd, 2017
- Mexican Woman Sentenced To Eight Years in Jail for Voting in Texas Illegally - Houston Press - February 11th, 2017
- Termite Help / Consumer Resources / Agricultural ... - January 29th, 2017
- New Jersey Home Inspection - About the House is a home ... - December 12th, 2016
- Terminix Termite Insurance is a Scam Review 198598 Mar 08 ... - September 7th, 2016
- Patio Covers Orange County|Dry Rot|Repair|Termite Damage ... - June 19th, 2016
- Be Careful Of Termite Inspection Fraud - Streetdirectory.com - June 13th, 2016
- Turfco Termite & Pest Control in Cordova, TN | Citysearch - May 9th, 2016
- Termite Damage | FRP Legal - May 9th, 2016
- Formosan Termites : snopes.com - May 9th, 2016
- Cost of Termite Damage RepairCost of Termite Damage Repair - May 9th, 2016
- Termite inspection scam? - Arizona Real Estate Notebook - May 9th, 2016
- What is "silent fraud"? | Rottenstein Law Group LLP - May 9th, 2016
- Pre Construction Termite Treatment - May 9th, 2016
- Pictures of Termites - DIY Homeowner Guide to Termite Control - May 9th, 2016
- Home Buying: How much does it cost to treat a termite ... - May 9th, 2016
- Termite Warranty? I purchased a new home in may 2009 with ... - May 9th, 2016
- Pest Control Scam in Orange County from Termite Terry Pest ... - May 9th, 2016
- building a termite proof home - Real Estate Fraud Attorney - October 21st, 2015
- Seller or Realtor Fraud and Construction Defects - October 21st, 2015
- Is it required by law that there is to be a termite ... - October 16th, 2015
- Laws Regarding Termite Inspections in Tennessee | eHow - October 5th, 2015
- Termite Treatment Cost - September 26th, 2015
- Termidor Termite Treatment vs. Sentricon | Termite ... - September 26th, 2015
- Ecola Termite & Pest Control Services - Florence-Firestone ... - September 25th, 2015
- Ants vs Termites - Help Telling them Apart - August 22nd, 2015
- Pest Control Jobs on CareerBuilder.com - August 19th, 2015
- Termite Identification - July 17th, 2015
- Don't Ignore Termite Swarms Outside Your Home | Angies List - July 5th, 2015
- Termite season begins now | Insects in the City - July 1st, 2015
Click Free Exterminator Quote
to fill in a form to obtain a free exterminator quote today.