Click Free Pest Control Quote
to fill in a form to obtain a free pest control quote today.
Looking for a stable job that only requires a high school diploma or equivalent? Interested in helping people, traveling, and improving the community around you?
As a pest control technician, you can make a profound difference in removing the unwanted pests in residential homes and buildings.
Let’s get into what you need to know to begin this career path.
Working and being around pesticides carries inherent risk, as you’re exposing yourself to toxic chemicals on a routine basis. Thus, you will need to familarize yourself with different levels of toxicity and understand the potential health consequences.
Minimizing exposure is key for keeping you healthy both in the short and long-term. In this field, you will need to use and wear safety equipment. After you return home each day, you will need to immediately remove your clothing, shower, and wash your outfits.
Most pest control technician jobs require a diploma or equivalent to get hired. Your education should have strong skills related to math, science, and writing.
It’s also beneficial to have additional education in the biology, identity, and understanding of various pests, like roaches, ants, etc.
In this career, you’ll be responsible for driving to various locations throughout the day. As a result, it’s no surprise that employers will expect you to have a fantastic driving record.
If you aren’t sure about the nature of yourrecord, you can order a copy from the DMV.
Furthermore, make sure that you make it a point to adopt safe driving habits in your everyday commuting. That means avoiding speeding and distracted driving. It also means paying any infractions or tickets on time.
There are numerous ways to obtain pest control training. Popular programs are held at technical centers, local community colleges, university extension programs, and specific pest control training centers.
Before enrolling in any course, you should determine if your state recognizes the program in their regulatory boards.
During training, you should expect to learn about termite and rodent control, safe pesticide use, and fumigation.
While training programs vary, most of them can be completed with 2-3 months.
After completing the educational component of your training, it’s time to get into the field and put your skills to the test!
Most technicians start out as apprentices under the supervision of licensed specialists. You will need to complete a designated number of hours of hands-on training in order to be eligible for your certification and licensure exam.
To become eligible as a pest control specialist, you’ll need to pass a written examination (some states also require an oral and practical examination).
In these tests, you will need to demonstrate advanced knowledge of foundational pest knowledge in addition to diagnosing problems and providing viable solutions.
You can locate pest control careers in a variety of sources including direct networking, company websites, online search engines, and your school.
This is an important time for you to build connections with your fellow mentors and colleagues.
Make it known that you are looking for a job, send in the applications, create a killer resume, and brush up on your interviewing skills. This is where persistence matters- you need to put in the effort if you want to yield positive results.
If you want to stay in an entry-level position, then staying a pest control technician is best. That said, you can make yourself more competitive in the workforce by advancing and obtaining more experience.
Pest control applicators require additional years of work and examinations, but you can progress from there to becoming a supervisor.
Each of these career paths offers more lucrative opportunities- both in pay and flexibility, and if you’re interested in continuing to improve your knowledge in this field, these are the choices to consider.
Additionally, all levels will require continuing education units to keep your certification in good standing. Because the field constantly evolves, it’s important to stay relevant and updated on recent changes.
You should check with your state to identify your exact requirements.
Did you know that pesticides aren’t the only way to deal with roaches or rats (read moreon that here)?
By integrating your management and practicing on preventative strategies, you can learn how to prohibit the pests from creating a problem in the first place. This requires intricate knowledge of the types of pests you are working with, the environments they live in, and what those pests are attracted to.
Furthermore, many technicians utilize alternative methods instead of pesticides for removal and control.
For example, practicing routine fertilization, watering strategies, and maintaining excellent sanitation tactics can decrease problems. Furthermore, using various heat and water treatments can eliminate issues without using chemicals.
Finally, some technicians take the route of using other living creatures that will naturally eat or kill the targeted pests.
Of course, if non-chemical methods cannot get the job done, pesticides will do the trick. With that, it’s vital that technicians use the least toxic product they can to treat the area. After successfully getting rid of the pest, you can return to non-chemical methods for treatment.
Working as a pest control technician has many benefits that include the ability to work independently, interact with different people, and make a lasting difference in your community. Moreover, it’s an emerging field with plenty of opportunities for growth and advancement.
Are you a pest control technician searching for a job? Check out our advanced search tool today.
Continue reading here:
Find jobs with Washington Post National Jobs
- Industrial Hemp Program | Arizona Department of Agriculture - May 17th, 2019
- Polymer, Colorant & Chemical Safety Data Sheets - May 12th, 2019
- Mobile Personal Injury Attorneys | Alabama Accident ... - April 14th, 2019
- PolyOne Company Officer Information & Biographies - April 6th, 2019
- Termite Control Treatment Options - April 5th, 2019
- Pest Control / Business Services / Home - Florida ... - March 27th, 2019
- Pesticide Applicator Information - March 12th, 2019
- Texas Leaf Cutting Ant - Insects in the City - March 6th, 2019
- Find an Attorney - Terminix Complaints - Real Stories from ... - February 22nd, 2019
- Louis Farrakhan: Im Not An Anti-Semite. Im Anti-Termite ... - February 3rd, 2019
- Contact PolyOne Today | Quick Contact Form - February 3rd, 2019
- Arizona Forum - Relocation, Moving, General and Local City ... - October 6th, 2018
- Black Widow Termite and Pest Control in Manhattan New York - September 4th, 2018
- Phone Losers of America home of The Snow Plow Show wacky ... - August 5th, 2018
- OnCap Anti-Rodent & Anti-Termite Technology | PolyOne - August 5th, 2018
- Apitherapy - Wikipedia - July 23rd, 2018
- Dont Confuse Bed Bugs with These Misdiagnosed Conditions - July 13th, 2018
- Facts About Termites - Where do the different species live? - May 23rd, 2018
- Termite Damage Claims Lawyer Mobile | Small Business ... - May 22nd, 2018
- Slowing tax refunds aimed at cutting fraud :: WRAL.com - May 21st, 2018
- Fake companies, fake workers: State battling new type of ... - May 18th, 2018
- Accused ISIS recruiter pleads guilty to fraud, tax charges ... - May 10th, 2018
- Reasons to Cancel a Pest Control Agreement | Legalbeagle.com - April 27th, 2018
- Planet Orange - 22 Photos & 493 Reviews - Pest Control ... - April 6th, 2018
- Sellers Disclosure of Property Condition - HouseDefects.com - April 5th, 2018
- News & Updates - Standards Australia - March 15th, 2018
- Duty to Disclose for Sellers in Florida Residential Real ... - March 7th, 2018
- Termite Building Code / Pest Control / Business Services ... - December 25th, 2017
- Green Explored: Bloom Energy Ecofraud in Delaware This Year - December 21st, 2017
- Pest Control Pest Management and Termite Inspection ... - December 16th, 2017
- Conehead Termite Program / Termites / Protect Your Home ... - November 26th, 2017
- Metrobank says arrest made after P900-M fraud report | ABS ... - October 22nd, 2017
- UPDATE: Refund for Cash Plus investors will definitely ... - October 1st, 2017
- Financial Review: ServiceMaster Global Holdings (SERV) vs. Lifelock (LOCK) - TrueBlueTribune - September 2nd, 2017
- Fight to fund Honolulu's rail continues Monday at a special legislative session - KITV Honolulu - August 31st, 2017
- Lifelock (LOCK) vs. ServiceMaster Global Holdings (SERV) Head to Head Review - Week Herald - August 31st, 2017
- Comparing ServiceMaster Global Holdings (SERV) and Lifelock (LOCK) - StockNewsTimes - August 27th, 2017
- Fraud Headlines | Association of Certified Fraud Examiners - August 13th, 2017
- Short-term thinking keeps Australia stuck in crisis - Business Insider Australia - August 7th, 2017
- Florida man caught with his crime to-do list - KNSS - August 1st, 2017
- Daily Technical Summary Reports on Business Services Stocks -- Ritchie Bros. Auctioneers, Rollins, Cardtronics, and ... - SYS-CON Media (press... - July 11th, 2017
- Life after Croman - The Real Deal Magazine - July 4th, 2017
- IRS summertime tax tip 2017-01: Tips to know for deducting losse ... - WKOW - July 4th, 2017
- What is Termite Fraud in Alabama? - Real Estate Legal ... - June 29th, 2017
- Pest Control and Termite Inspection Insurance | Wallace ... - June 11th, 2017
- We name stink da road the Banes/Nanes debacle - Breaking Belize News (blog) - June 6th, 2017
- VIAGRA GENERIC 100MG - cialis best price - State Column - May 11th, 2017
- Tim Moss Answers Your Home Remodeling & Repair Questions - WBT - May 9th, 2017
- Owner of Oklahoma tornado shelter company charged with embezzlement - KOKH FOX25 - May 5th, 2017
- NJ Statutes of Limitation for Breach of Contract and Fraud - April 10th, 2017
- Charlotte Termite Companies, Best Termite Protection ... - April 6th, 2017
- Learn About Costa Rica's Largest Eco Developer: Kalia Living - The Costa Rica Star - March 24th, 2017
- Marcos loyalists ask House to endorse impeachment rap vs. Robredo - CNN Philippines - March 22nd, 2017
- A campaign to unseat - The Manila Times - March 13th, 2017
- Professor Miller and the Bottomless Pit of Academia - Conatus News - March 12th, 2017
- MOLLY'S COLUMN | Valley Roadrunner - Valley Roadrunner - March 9th, 2017
- The Home Improvement Show 10am, Paul LaGrange - WWL First News - March 1st, 2017
- DeMarcus Cousins brings out the fighting side of Holley and Keefe (Round Two!) - WEEI.com - February 22nd, 2017
- Mexican Woman Sentenced To Eight Years in Jail for Voting in Texas Illegally - Houston Press - February 11th, 2017
- Termite Help / Consumer Resources / Agricultural ... - January 29th, 2017
- New Jersey Home Inspection - About the House is a home ... - December 12th, 2016
- Terminix Termite Insurance is a Scam Review 198598 Mar 08 ... - September 7th, 2016
- Patio Covers Orange County|Dry Rot|Repair|Termite Damage ... - June 19th, 2016
- Be Careful Of Termite Inspection Fraud - Streetdirectory.com - June 13th, 2016
- Turfco Termite & Pest Control in Cordova, TN | Citysearch - May 9th, 2016
- Termite Damage | FRP Legal - May 9th, 2016
- Formosan Termites : snopes.com - May 9th, 2016
- Cost of Termite Damage RepairCost of Termite Damage Repair - May 9th, 2016
- Termite inspection scam? - Arizona Real Estate Notebook - May 9th, 2016
- What is "silent fraud"? | Rottenstein Law Group LLP - May 9th, 2016
- Pre Construction Termite Treatment - May 9th, 2016
- Pictures of Termites - DIY Homeowner Guide to Termite Control - May 9th, 2016
- Home Buying: How much does it cost to treat a termite ... - May 9th, 2016
- Termite Warranty? I purchased a new home in may 2009 with ... - May 9th, 2016
- Pest Control Scam in Orange County from Termite Terry Pest ... - May 9th, 2016
- building a termite proof home - Real Estate Fraud Attorney - October 21st, 2015
- Seller or Realtor Fraud and Construction Defects - October 21st, 2015
- Is it required by law that there is to be a termite ... - October 16th, 2015
- Laws Regarding Termite Inspections in Tennessee | eHow - October 5th, 2015
- Termite Treatment Cost - September 26th, 2015
Click Free Exterminator Quote
to fill in a form to obtain a free exterminator quote today.