Click Free Pest Control Quote
to fill in a form to obtain a free pest control quote today.
Posted By Larry Tolchinsky on October 22, 2013
Last Update: 2/27/18
Disclosure of facts that materially affect the value of real estate doesnt always happen in residential real estate sales because sellers fret that if the buyer hears something bad, theyll walk away or, counter with a price which is much lower than the listed sales price. Fortunately for buyers, Florida law requires that sellers disclose known defects involving Florida residential real estate; sellers who fail to disclose these defects will most likely be held to account under Floridas real estate disclosure laws.
Does a Florida seller have to disclose a copy of the HOA Rules? See Florida Statute 720.401.
Other issues, however, are not specifically required to be disclosed to the buyer under Florida law for example Florida Statute 689.25 regarding disclosure of any homicide, suicide, deaths, or diagnosis of HIV or AIDS infection in an occupant of real property.
Florida Statute 689.25 states:
(1)(a)The fact that an occupant of real property is infected or has been infected with human immunodeficiency virus or diagnosed with acquired immune deficiency syndrome is not a material fact that must be disclosed in a real estate transaction.
(b)The fact that a property was, or was at any time suspected to have been, the site of a homicide, suicide, or death is not a material fact that must be disclosed in a real estate transaction.(2)A cause of action shall not arise against an owner of real property, his or her agent, an agent of a transferee of real property, or a person licensed under chapter 475 for the failure to disclose to the transferee that the property was or was suspected to have been the site of a homicide, suicide, or death or that an occupant of that property was infected with human immunodeficiency virus or diagnosed with acquired immune deficiency syndrome.
As explained by the Florida Supreme Court in Johnson v. Davis:
One should not be able to stand behind the impervious shield of caveat emptor and take advantage of anothers ignorance. Our courts have taken great strides since the days when the judicial emphasis was on rigid rules and ancient precedents. Modern concepts of justice and fair dealing have given our courts the opportunity and latitude to change legal precepts in order to conform to societys needs. Thus, the tendency of the more recent cases has been to restrict rather than extend the doctrine of caveat emptor. The law appears to be working toward the ultimate conclusion that full disclosure of all material facts must be made whenever elementary fair conduct demands it.
Bottom line, in Florida, sellers of residential real estate have a duty to disclose most material information about the condition of the property (past and present) as well as repairs that have been done and repairs that need to be done (including things like termite damage, mold, Chinese drywall, leaky roofs, plumbing and electrical issues, structural damage, code violations, illegal additions, etc.). (Commercial real estate buyers traditionally do not get the same level of protection under Florida law. See the application of caveat emptor in Solorzano v. First Union Mortg. Corp.).
What Happens When Sellers Fail To Disclose in a Residential Real Estate Transaction?
When a buyer is not told about a material issue related to residential property in Florida, the buyer may have the right to rescind the deal and/or sue for money damages resulting from the failure to disclose (however, most standard form contracts now require most disputes to be mediated before litigation may commence check your contract). This is true whether or not the failure to disclose was intentional or a mistake.
Additionally, Florida real estate lawyers see many Errors & Omissions claims on Real Estate Agent and Real Estate Brokers insurance policies for being complicit in failing to disclose a defect or condition that is adjudged to be a material item.
Short answer: failures to disclose known material issues to residential real estate buyers in Florida often leads to lawsuits being filed. There are several statutory laws (both federal and state) that come into play here, along with Florida court cases (precedent). Environmental regulations established under federal law may even apply in Florida because of our unique natural resources and risks (e.g., the Everglades, Tribal lands, Hurricanes).
Therefore, in any Florida residential real estate transaction, its a good idea to have legal guidance before the contract is signed (both seller and buyer). Doing so, insures that disclosures will be made and questions will be asked and answered so that both sellers and buyers leave the closing table happy and fully informed, and allowing them to move forward without potential claims and litigation in the future.
To this end, many realtors rely upon disclosure forms (such as this one) to overcome any disclosure concerns, and they can be very helpful; however, in any instance where there may be a question or issue involving the disclosure of material information about Florida residential real estate on the part of either the seller or the buyer, seeking guidance from an experienced real estate lawyer before the contract is signed or the deal is closed to make sure that disclosure laws have been complied with is a prudent course of action than waiting to see what happens nobody wants to have to file a lawsuit, or defend against one, down the road. And, dont let anyone tell you that you dont need a lawyer or that a real estate form is standard. Use your good judgment. After all, you are spending a lot of money, so protect yourself.
A good piece of advice if you are buying or selling a home or condo and are worried about disclosure issues, is to speak with an experienced Florida real estate lawyer to learn about your rights before you sign a contract or close the transaction. Most real estate lawyers, like Larry Tolchinsky, offer a free initial consultation (over the phone or in person, whichever you prefer) to answer your questions.
Disclosures to Home Buyers: Florida Statute 475.278 and the Real Estate Agent Relationship
What Disclosures Are Required in Florida Residential Real Estate Transactions? (Condo, HOA, etc.)
Property Disclosure Statements: Duty to Reveal Hazards in Florida Must Be Disclosed to Home Buyers (Flood Risks)
SEE ALL: Our Disclosure Related Articles
If you found this information helpful, please share this article and bookmark it for your future reference.
Tags: Florida Condo Law, Florida Condominium, Florida disclosure laws, Florida Homestead, Florida Real Estate, Florida residential real estate
Read more here:
Duty to Disclose for Sellers in Florida Residential Real …
- Mobile Personal Injury Attorneys | Alabama Accident ... - April 14th, 2019
- PolyOne Company Officer Information & Biographies - April 6th, 2019
- Termite Control Treatment Options - April 5th, 2019
- Pest Control / Business Services / Home - Florida ... - March 27th, 2019
- Pesticide Applicator Information - March 12th, 2019
- Texas Leaf Cutting Ant - Insects in the City - March 6th, 2019
- Find an Attorney - Terminix Complaints - Real Stories from ... - February 22nd, 2019
- Louis Farrakhan: Im Not An Anti-Semite. Im Anti-Termite ... - February 3rd, 2019
- Contact PolyOne Today | Quick Contact Form - February 3rd, 2019
- Arizona Forum - Relocation, Moving, General and Local City ... - October 6th, 2018
- Black Widow Termite and Pest Control in Manhattan New York - September 4th, 2018
- Phone Losers of America home of The Snow Plow Show wacky ... - August 5th, 2018
- OnCap Anti-Rodent & Anti-Termite Technology | PolyOne - August 5th, 2018
- Apitherapy - Wikipedia - July 23rd, 2018
- Dont Confuse Bed Bugs with These Misdiagnosed Conditions - July 13th, 2018
- Facts About Termites - Where do the different species live? - May 23rd, 2018
- Termite Damage Claims Lawyer Mobile | Small Business ... - May 22nd, 2018
- Slowing tax refunds aimed at cutting fraud :: WRAL.com - May 21st, 2018
- Fake companies, fake workers: State battling new type of ... - May 18th, 2018
- Accused ISIS recruiter pleads guilty to fraud, tax charges ... - May 10th, 2018
- Reasons to Cancel a Pest Control Agreement | Legalbeagle.com - April 27th, 2018
- Planet Orange - 22 Photos & 493 Reviews - Pest Control ... - April 6th, 2018
- Sellers Disclosure of Property Condition - HouseDefects.com - April 5th, 2018
- News & Updates - Standards Australia - March 15th, 2018
- Termite Building Code / Pest Control / Business Services ... - December 25th, 2017
- Green Explored: Bloom Energy Ecofraud in Delaware This Year - December 21st, 2017
- Pest Control Pest Management and Termite Inspection ... - December 16th, 2017
- Conehead Termite Program / Termites / Protect Your Home ... - November 26th, 2017
- Metrobank says arrest made after P900-M fraud report | ABS ... - October 22nd, 2017
- UPDATE: Refund for Cash Plus investors will definitely ... - October 1st, 2017
- Financial Review: ServiceMaster Global Holdings (SERV) vs. Lifelock (LOCK) - TrueBlueTribune - September 2nd, 2017
- Fight to fund Honolulu's rail continues Monday at a special legislative session - KITV Honolulu - August 31st, 2017
- Lifelock (LOCK) vs. ServiceMaster Global Holdings (SERV) Head to Head Review - Week Herald - August 31st, 2017
- Comparing ServiceMaster Global Holdings (SERV) and Lifelock (LOCK) - StockNewsTimes - August 27th, 2017
- Fraud Headlines | Association of Certified Fraud Examiners - August 13th, 2017
- Short-term thinking keeps Australia stuck in crisis - Business Insider Australia - August 7th, 2017
- Florida man caught with his crime to-do list - KNSS - August 1st, 2017
- Daily Technical Summary Reports on Business Services Stocks -- Ritchie Bros. Auctioneers, Rollins, Cardtronics, and ... - SYS-CON Media (press... - July 11th, 2017
- Life after Croman - The Real Deal Magazine - July 4th, 2017
- IRS summertime tax tip 2017-01: Tips to know for deducting losse ... - WKOW - July 4th, 2017
- What is Termite Fraud in Alabama? - Real Estate Legal ... - June 29th, 2017
- Pest Control and Termite Inspection Insurance | Wallace ... - June 11th, 2017
- We name stink da road the Banes/Nanes debacle - Breaking Belize News (blog) - June 6th, 2017
- VIAGRA GENERIC 100MG - cialis best price - State Column - May 11th, 2017
- Tim Moss Answers Your Home Remodeling & Repair Questions - WBT - May 9th, 2017
- Owner of Oklahoma tornado shelter company charged with embezzlement - KOKH FOX25 - May 5th, 2017
- NJ Statutes of Limitation for Breach of Contract and Fraud - April 10th, 2017
- Charlotte Termite Companies, Best Termite Protection ... - April 6th, 2017
- Learn About Costa Rica's Largest Eco Developer: Kalia Living - The Costa Rica Star - March 24th, 2017
- Marcos loyalists ask House to endorse impeachment rap vs. Robredo - CNN Philippines - March 22nd, 2017
- A campaign to unseat - The Manila Times - March 13th, 2017
- Professor Miller and the Bottomless Pit of Academia - Conatus News - March 12th, 2017
- MOLLY'S COLUMN | Valley Roadrunner - Valley Roadrunner - March 9th, 2017
- The Home Improvement Show 10am, Paul LaGrange - WWL First News - March 1st, 2017
- DeMarcus Cousins brings out the fighting side of Holley and Keefe (Round Two!) - WEEI.com - February 22nd, 2017
- Mexican Woman Sentenced To Eight Years in Jail for Voting in Texas Illegally - Houston Press - February 11th, 2017
- Termite Help / Consumer Resources / Agricultural ... - January 29th, 2017
- New Jersey Home Inspection - About the House is a home ... - December 12th, 2016
- Terminix Termite Insurance is a Scam Review 198598 Mar 08 ... - September 7th, 2016
- Patio Covers Orange County|Dry Rot|Repair|Termite Damage ... - June 19th, 2016
- Be Careful Of Termite Inspection Fraud - Streetdirectory.com - June 13th, 2016
- Turfco Termite & Pest Control in Cordova, TN | Citysearch - May 9th, 2016
- Termite Damage | FRP Legal - May 9th, 2016
- Formosan Termites : snopes.com - May 9th, 2016
- Cost of Termite Damage RepairCost of Termite Damage Repair - May 9th, 2016
- Termite inspection scam? - Arizona Real Estate Notebook - May 9th, 2016
- What is "silent fraud"? | Rottenstein Law Group LLP - May 9th, 2016
- Pre Construction Termite Treatment - May 9th, 2016
- Pictures of Termites - DIY Homeowner Guide to Termite Control - May 9th, 2016
- Home Buying: How much does it cost to treat a termite ... - May 9th, 2016
- Termite Warranty? I purchased a new home in may 2009 with ... - May 9th, 2016
- Pest Control Scam in Orange County from Termite Terry Pest ... - May 9th, 2016
- building a termite proof home - Real Estate Fraud Attorney - October 21st, 2015
- Seller or Realtor Fraud and Construction Defects - October 21st, 2015
- Is it required by law that there is to be a termite ... - October 16th, 2015
- Laws Regarding Termite Inspections in Tennessee | eHow - October 5th, 2015
- Termite Treatment Cost - September 26th, 2015
- Termidor Termite Treatment vs. Sentricon | Termite ... - September 26th, 2015
- Ecola Termite & Pest Control Services - Florence-Firestone ... - September 25th, 2015
- Ants vs Termites - Help Telling them Apart - August 22nd, 2015
Click Free Exterminator Quote
to fill in a form to obtain a free exterminator quote today.