Click Free Pest Control Quote
to fill in a form to obtain a free pest control quote today.
According to the American Academy of Dermatology, dermatologists treat over 3,000 skin conditions. At the same time, scientists and entomologists have identified about one million species of bugs, insects, and spiders, thousands of which bite or sting humans. With so many different bites, stings, and skin conditions known to us today, proper identification of bed bug bites can be a challenge and the longer bites go undiagnosed, the more difficult (and expensive) effective treatment becomes. In an effort to help infestation victims get appropriate treatment as soon as possible, weve put together a list of some common bed bug bite misdiagnoses and look-alikes.
We should begin by emphasizing that we are attorneys, not doctors. This article is not intended to substitute or function as medical advice, and you should always consult with a licensed physician if you have any questions or concerns about your health. Remember, the only way to effectively diagnose bites or stings of any kind is to have them examined in person by a healthcare professional.
Even then, you may want to consider getting more than one doctors opinion. Despite the medical training medical professionals receive, proper identification is still sometimes hindered by the fact that reactions to bed bug bite can vary, as noted by a recent study published in Clinical Microbiology Reviews. These variations, which can range from zero reaction to life-threatening anaphylaxis, are attributable to differing levels of allergic sensitivity among bite victims. Approximately one fifth of the population is estimated to be allergic to some degree.
Yet bite reaction variance isnt the only obstacle to prompt and accurate diagnosis. The issue is further compounded by the generic appearance of bed bug bites. Like many bites and stings, bed bug bites are usually itchy, raised, and pinkish-red in hue. Unfortunately, this set of qualities also happens to describe mosquito bites, flea bites, fly bites, tick bites, chigger bites, sand fly bites, and various spider bites.
In light of these similarities, here are a few tips to distinguish bed bug bites from some common impostors:
It isnt only insect bites which can cause diagnostic confusion. Certain skin conditions some of which are fairly common in the United States are also close mimics. Listed below are just a few examples.
Dermatitis Herpetiformis Also known as Duhring Disease, this is a rare condition which affects only an estimated 20,000 to 200,000 people in the U.S. each year. Duhring Disease manifests as a persistent, itchy rash composed of blisters and small bumps. This disease is exceptionally rare in children, with onset typically in the twenties or later.
Grovers Disease Similar to Duhring Disase, Grovers Disease is a rare skin condition in which itching red spots break out on the torso and back. Grovers Disease is typically seen in middle-aged and elderly men.
Miliaria Miliaria, which you might know as heat rash or prickly heat, affects approximately 3 million people in the U.S. every year. As its nickname suggests, miliaria typically occurs during the summer, and tends to affect children and infants. Caused by blocked sweat ducts, miliaria leads to itchy, pink skin rashes.
Prurigo Like Duhring Disease, about 20,000 to 200,000 cases occur annually in the U.S. Prurigo manifests as large, itchy nodules (lumps and swellings) on the arms and legs. The nodules may not be itchy at first.
Scabies Also known as the seven-year itch, scabies is caused by parasites called itch mites (Sarcoptes scabiei). Scabies, which affects as many as 3 million people in the U.S. each year, manifests as a pink, itchy skin rash comprised of blisters and bumps.
If you think youve been bitten by bed bugs, you might actually be suffering from one of these conditions. On the other hand, if you were recently diagnosed with any of these conditions, you may want to see another doctor to confirm that bed bugs arent the true cause. As the Microbiology study points out, bed bug bites are commonly misdiagnosed as:
If you suspect that your Baltimore apartment has bed bugs, and your landlord refuses to do anything about it, or is threatening to evict you for complaining, you need an experienced bed bug lawyer on your side. You may be entitled to compensation. To set up a free, completely confidential legal consultation, call the law offices of Whitney LLPright away at (410) 583-8000.
- Mobile Personal Injury Attorneys | Alabama Accident ... - April 14th, 2019
- PolyOne Company Officer Information & Biographies - April 6th, 2019
- Termite Control Treatment Options - April 5th, 2019
- Pest Control / Business Services / Home - Florida ... - March 27th, 2019
- Pesticide Applicator Information - March 12th, 2019
- Texas Leaf Cutting Ant - Insects in the City - March 6th, 2019
- Find an Attorney - Terminix Complaints - Real Stories from ... - February 22nd, 2019
- Louis Farrakhan: Im Not An Anti-Semite. Im Anti-Termite ... - February 3rd, 2019
- Contact PolyOne Today | Quick Contact Form - February 3rd, 2019
- Arizona Forum - Relocation, Moving, General and Local City ... - October 6th, 2018
- Black Widow Termite and Pest Control in Manhattan New York - September 4th, 2018
- Phone Losers of America home of The Snow Plow Show wacky ... - August 5th, 2018
- OnCap Anti-Rodent & Anti-Termite Technology | PolyOne - August 5th, 2018
- Apitherapy - Wikipedia - July 23rd, 2018
- Facts About Termites - Where do the different species live? - May 23rd, 2018
- Termite Damage Claims Lawyer Mobile | Small Business ... - May 22nd, 2018
- Slowing tax refunds aimed at cutting fraud :: WRAL.com - May 21st, 2018
- Fake companies, fake workers: State battling new type of ... - May 18th, 2018
- Accused ISIS recruiter pleads guilty to fraud, tax charges ... - May 10th, 2018
- Reasons to Cancel a Pest Control Agreement | Legalbeagle.com - April 27th, 2018
- Planet Orange - 22 Photos & 493 Reviews - Pest Control ... - April 6th, 2018
- Sellers Disclosure of Property Condition - HouseDefects.com - April 5th, 2018
- News & Updates - Standards Australia - March 15th, 2018
- Duty to Disclose for Sellers in Florida Residential Real ... - March 7th, 2018
- Termite Building Code / Pest Control / Business Services ... - December 25th, 2017
- Green Explored: Bloom Energy Ecofraud in Delaware This Year - December 21st, 2017
- Pest Control Pest Management and Termite Inspection ... - December 16th, 2017
- Conehead Termite Program / Termites / Protect Your Home ... - November 26th, 2017
- Metrobank says arrest made after P900-M fraud report | ABS ... - October 22nd, 2017
- UPDATE: Refund for Cash Plus investors will definitely ... - October 1st, 2017
- Financial Review: ServiceMaster Global Holdings (SERV) vs. Lifelock (LOCK) - TrueBlueTribune - September 2nd, 2017
- Fight to fund Honolulu's rail continues Monday at a special legislative session - KITV Honolulu - August 31st, 2017
- Lifelock (LOCK) vs. ServiceMaster Global Holdings (SERV) Head to Head Review - Week Herald - August 31st, 2017
- Comparing ServiceMaster Global Holdings (SERV) and Lifelock (LOCK) - StockNewsTimes - August 27th, 2017
- Fraud Headlines | Association of Certified Fraud Examiners - August 13th, 2017
- Short-term thinking keeps Australia stuck in crisis - Business Insider Australia - August 7th, 2017
- Florida man caught with his crime to-do list - KNSS - August 1st, 2017
- Daily Technical Summary Reports on Business Services Stocks -- Ritchie Bros. Auctioneers, Rollins, Cardtronics, and ... - SYS-CON Media (press... - July 11th, 2017
- Life after Croman - The Real Deal Magazine - July 4th, 2017
- IRS summertime tax tip 2017-01: Tips to know for deducting losse ... - WKOW - July 4th, 2017
- What is Termite Fraud in Alabama? - Real Estate Legal ... - June 29th, 2017
- Pest Control and Termite Inspection Insurance | Wallace ... - June 11th, 2017
- We name stink da road the Banes/Nanes debacle - Breaking Belize News (blog) - June 6th, 2017
- VIAGRA GENERIC 100MG - cialis best price - State Column - May 11th, 2017
- Tim Moss Answers Your Home Remodeling & Repair Questions - WBT - May 9th, 2017
- Owner of Oklahoma tornado shelter company charged with embezzlement - KOKH FOX25 - May 5th, 2017
- NJ Statutes of Limitation for Breach of Contract and Fraud - April 10th, 2017
- Charlotte Termite Companies, Best Termite Protection ... - April 6th, 2017
- Learn About Costa Rica's Largest Eco Developer: Kalia Living - The Costa Rica Star - March 24th, 2017
- Marcos loyalists ask House to endorse impeachment rap vs. Robredo - CNN Philippines - March 22nd, 2017
- A campaign to unseat - The Manila Times - March 13th, 2017
- Professor Miller and the Bottomless Pit of Academia - Conatus News - March 12th, 2017
- MOLLY'S COLUMN | Valley Roadrunner - Valley Roadrunner - March 9th, 2017
- The Home Improvement Show 10am, Paul LaGrange - WWL First News - March 1st, 2017
- DeMarcus Cousins brings out the fighting side of Holley and Keefe (Round Two!) - WEEI.com - February 22nd, 2017
- Mexican Woman Sentenced To Eight Years in Jail for Voting in Texas Illegally - Houston Press - February 11th, 2017
- Termite Help / Consumer Resources / Agricultural ... - January 29th, 2017
- New Jersey Home Inspection - About the House is a home ... - December 12th, 2016
- Terminix Termite Insurance is a Scam Review 198598 Mar 08 ... - September 7th, 2016
- Patio Covers Orange County|Dry Rot|Repair|Termite Damage ... - June 19th, 2016
- Be Careful Of Termite Inspection Fraud - Streetdirectory.com - June 13th, 2016
- Turfco Termite & Pest Control in Cordova, TN | Citysearch - May 9th, 2016
- Termite Damage | FRP Legal - May 9th, 2016
- Formosan Termites : snopes.com - May 9th, 2016
- Cost of Termite Damage RepairCost of Termite Damage Repair - May 9th, 2016
- Termite inspection scam? - Arizona Real Estate Notebook - May 9th, 2016
- What is "silent fraud"? | Rottenstein Law Group LLP - May 9th, 2016
- Pre Construction Termite Treatment - May 9th, 2016
- Pictures of Termites - DIY Homeowner Guide to Termite Control - May 9th, 2016
- Home Buying: How much does it cost to treat a termite ... - May 9th, 2016
- Termite Warranty? I purchased a new home in may 2009 with ... - May 9th, 2016
- Pest Control Scam in Orange County from Termite Terry Pest ... - May 9th, 2016
- building a termite proof home - Real Estate Fraud Attorney - October 21st, 2015
- Seller or Realtor Fraud and Construction Defects - October 21st, 2015
- Is it required by law that there is to be a termite ... - October 16th, 2015
- Laws Regarding Termite Inspections in Tennessee | eHow - October 5th, 2015
- Termite Treatment Cost - September 26th, 2015
- Termidor Termite Treatment vs. Sentricon | Termite ... - September 26th, 2015
- Ecola Termite & Pest Control Services - Florence-Firestone ... - September 25th, 2015
- Ants vs Termites - Help Telling them Apart - August 22nd, 2015
Click Free Exterminator Quote
to fill in a form to obtain a free exterminator quote today.