Click Free Pest Control Quote
to fill in a form to obtain a free pest control quote today.
With the stock market still hitting record highs, finding stocks worth buying from a valuation standpoint becomes more difficult. But even among high-flying stocks, there are some that still stand out.
We asked three top Motley Fool contributors to share with us what they’re watching in the second quarter under these conditions. Read on to find out why First Solar (NASDAQ: FSLR) and Rollins (NYSE: ROL) are under the microscope, as well as why a whole segment of an industry is being eyeballed closely.
Image source: Getty Images.
Tyler Crowe(Frack sand industry):I’m not looking at one individual stock in particular when second-quarter earnings reports get released. Instead, the industry that has me intrigued the most is the frack sand industry and the implications it may have on the rest of the U.S. shale drilling industry.
So far, shale drilling has benefited immensely from lower-cost oil service contracts. So many oil services companies right now have idle equipment fighting for any kind of work, the rates producers pay are abnormally cheap. One could argue that without these cheap oil service contracts, many producers couldn’tmake a profit at today’s oil prices.
The one component of the oil service industry that isn’t suffering from idle capacity is frack sand. Changing well technologies have resulted in a drastic increase in per-well sand consumption, and most frack sand producers today are either somewhere near capacity or ramping up their last idle facilities.
The question I want answered is this: How quickly can frack sand producers build new production facilities or execute expansion plans at their existing plants? If frack sand can’t keep up with the growing demand, there is a good chance sand prices will rise, and it will decelerate the pace of oil and gas production growth.
Either way, frack sand producers look like they will have a pretty good run for a while; whether it be OK prices on much higher volumes, or better prices on slightly more volume. More importantly, though, is what that could mean for other investments in the industry.
Image source: Getty Images.
Travis Hoium (First Solar): The solar industry, in general, will be interesting to watch in the second quarter, but First Solar has a particularly interesting position. The company is upgrading its manufacturing equipment from what’s called Series 4 to Series 6, a product that will mean a larger form factor and more efficient panels. Combined with pre-engineered racking and inverters, it’s intended to provide a cost-effective solution for development customers.
But First Solar also finds itself in the center of a strange trade dispute that could have a wide effect on solar manufacturing. When U.S. manufacturer Suniva went bankrupt, it invoked a rare trade rule that could allow the president of the United States to set highly punitive tariffs on solar imports. For First Solar, that could mean its own imports from Asian manufacturing become more costly, but it has a plant in Ohio that could suddenly see a windfall in high-margin demand.
First Solar needs to continue making progress on Series 6 manufacturing, which will be worth watching for the second quarter. But more important could be the potentially punitive tariffs on solar imports, which would likely end up helping First Solar over the next few years. And as Suniva’s petition moves forward, it will be something all First Solar investors will want to watch.
Rich Duprey (Rollins): Like a certain roach motel, an investor checking into exterminator Rollins just might not check out. It’s simply too profitable of a business that shows no signs of slowing.
Owning such well-known pest-control brands like Orkin and Western Pest Control, Rollins is going where many fear to tread, namely where roaches, ants, mice, and termites make their homes. Those sort of pests give many people the willies, and leaving their eradication to pros like Rollins is an expense they’re willing to pay. It reported that revenue increased 6% in the first quarter to $375 million as adjusted profits surged 13% to $36 million.
The key to those gains has been the recurring nature of its operations, as 80% of it is repeat business. It says only 2% of its revenue gains in 2016 came from price hikes. That suggests customers are highly satisfied with their services, which are apparently as sticky as a rat trap.
The market also likes what it sees, bidding up Rollins’ stock 28% so far this year and sending it more than 50% higher over the past year. That kind of performance, both operationally and in the stock market, means the bug killer trades at a premium, or some 53 times earnings and 45 times next year’s estimates. With analysts pegging its long-term earnings growth at 9% annually, Rollins comes at an elevated value in terms of its price-to-earnings ratio.
Certainly, the pest control services company has been on a roll, and with demand as it’s been, Rollins has a bright future ahead of it crawling into dark crevices. Still, I’d continue to watch its stock for any sign of it flying into a bug zapper, which would make it a much more attractive investment.
10 stocks we like better than Rollins
When investing geniuses David and Tom Gardner have a stock tip, it can pay to listen. After all, the newsletter they have run for over a decade, Motley Fool Stock Advisor, has tripled the market.*
David and Tom just revealed what they believe are the 10 best stocks for investors to buy right now…and Rollins wasn’t one of them! That’s right — they think these 10 stocks are even better buys.
Click here to learn about these picks!
*Stock Advisor returns as of May 1, 2017.
Rich Duprey has no position in any stocks mentioned. Travis Hoium has no position in any stocks mentioned. Tyler Crowe has no position in any stocks mentioned. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy.
- Termite Exterminator Westchester County, NY, Pelham, NY ... - May 30th, 2019
- Pest Control Services in Cleveland, OH - HomeAdvisor.com - May 21st, 2019
- Lufkin Termite Exterminator - Lufkin Pest Control Pros - May 21st, 2019
- Termite Exterminator Pest Control Services Malibu West ... - May 21st, 2019
- Termite Exterminators - EliminateEm - May 21st, 2019
- HOME - Hilton Head Exterminators - May 17th, 2019
- Frontier Exterminating, Inc: Exterminator, Pest Control ... - April 25th, 2019
- Termites | Pest Control Solutions - April 25th, 2019
- Pestban Pest Control: Exterminator - April 25th, 2019
- Holiday Termite & Pest Control - 23 Photos & 86 Reviews ... - April 24th, 2019
- Sentricon Termite Control Brielle NJ Exterminator 732-504 ... - April 24th, 2019
- Bed Bug Pest Control Services Jacksonville FL | Termite ... - April 24th, 2019
- Dixie Exterminators Inc. - Dixie Pest - April 18th, 2019
- Best Termite Exterminator Learn More About Termite ... - April 16th, 2019
- 24 Best Pest Control Companies - Ashburn VA | Exterminators - April 16th, 2019
- Exterminator, Pest Control, and Termite Control Services - April 10th, 2019
- Suncrest Exterminating Termite & Pest Control - 23 Photos ... - April 10th, 2019
- Preferred Termite and Pest Control Pennsville NJ Exterminator - April 10th, 2019
- 2019 Average Termite Exterminator Costs: How Much Does It ... - April 3rd, 2019
- Alamo Pest Control & Rodent Exterminator | Fort Worth ... - March 18th, 2019
- Orangeburg, SC Pest Control & Exterminators | Terminix - March 6th, 2019
- Orangeburg, SC Pest Control, Termite Inspector ... - March 6th, 2019
- Sentricon Termite Control Whiting NJ Exterminator 732-504 ... - March 6th, 2019
- Need Exterminator in Los Angeles? Termite & Pest Control ... - March 6th, 2019
- Cost to Hire a Termite Exterminator - Estimates and Prices ... - March 6th, 2019
- Andys Termite and Pest Control - 23 Photos & 55 Reviews ... - March 6th, 2019
- Pest Control McAllen TX - February 21st, 2019
- Termite Control | Termite Exterminator Serving Newton and ... - February 16th, 2019
- Termite Control Exterminator in Vandalia, IL | (855) 987-5196 - February 5th, 2019
- San Jose Best Termite Exterminator | Termite Control Company - January 29th, 2019
- Termite Control & Prevention | A1 Exterminators Lynn MA ... - January 16th, 2019
- Pest and Termite Control | All Track Exterminators - January 16th, 2019
- Steps Involved In A Termite Inspection | Pest Control and Bug ... - November 28th, 2018
- Mooresville Pest Control | Termites & Ants Local Exterminator ... - November 28th, 2018
- Pest Control In Providence, Worcester, New England | Big Blue Bug - November 28th, 2018
- Go-Forth Pest Control of Greensboro | Roaches & Termite ... - November 28th, 2018
- Termite Exterminator in Garner NC | Get Rid of Termites Now - November 25th, 2018
- Daly City Termite Exterminator - Daly City Pest Control Pros - November 25th, 2018
- Thousand Oaks Termite Exterminator - November 25th, 2018
- Truly Nolen Locations | Pest & Termite Control | Exterminator - November 25th, 2018
- Termite Exterminator, Fumigation Service in Tampa FL 33614 - November 8th, 2018
- The 10 Best Termite Companies in Phoenix, AZ (with Free ... - November 8th, 2018
- Pest Control Services in Oklahoma City, OK - HomeAdvisor - October 31st, 2018
- Pest Control Services in Los Angeles, CA - HomeAdvisor - October 31st, 2018
- Termite Extermination Columbus, Ohio | Stryker Pest Control - October 31st, 2018
- Home Pest Control and Exterminators | Angies List - October 25th, 2018
- Pest Control Services Company Ventura | Termite Inspection ... - October 25th, 2018
- Abilene Termite Exterminator - Abilene Pest Control Pros - October 3rd, 2018
- Lancaster Termite Exterminator - Lancaster Pest Control Pros - October 3rd, 2018
- Irving Termite Exterminator - Irving Pest Control Pros - October 3rd, 2018
- Downey Termite Exterminator - Olathe Pest Control Pros - October 3rd, 2018
- Termite Control Companies in Tucson, AZ - HomeAdvisor.com - October 3rd, 2018
- Clermont Termite Exterminator - Clermont Pest Control Pros - October 3rd, 2018
- Allen Termite Exterminator - Allen Pest Control Pros - October 3rd, 2018
- Burbank Termite Exterminator - Burbank Pest Control Pros - October 3rd, 2018
- House Fumigation London | Up to 100% Pest Extermination - October 3rd, 2018
- Elizabeth Termite Exterminator - Elizabeth Pest Control Pros - October 3rd, 2018
- Coppell Termite Exterminator - Coppell Pest Control Pros - October 3rd, 2018
- Gainesville Termite Exterminator - Gainesville Pest Control Pros - October 3rd, 2018
- Athens Termite Exterminator - Athens Pest Control Pros - October 3rd, 2018
- Waterbury Termite Exterminator - Waterbury Pest Control Pros - October 3rd, 2018
- Pest Control in London, Midlands, South UK | JG Pest Control - September 25th, 2018
- Termite Exterminator - North Jersey Termite - September 25th, 2018
- Termite & Pest Control Specialist - Terminators Pest Control - September 25th, 2018
- Orlando, FL Exterminator, Pest Control & Termite Inspector - September 22nd, 2018
- Truly Nolen Pest Control, Termite Control & Exterminator - July 27th, 2018
- Termite Swarmers in Your House: What To Do | Western ... - March 29th, 2018
- Insight Pest Control Ventura: Exterminator & Termite ... - March 27th, 2018
- Pine Level Exterminator | Melvin SWAT - February 11th, 2018
- Everett, WA Exterminator, Pest Control & Termite Inspector - January 26th, 2018
- Termite Exterminator & Preventative Inspections | San Jose ... - December 12th, 2017
- Termite Control Products - Termite Treatment | Do My Own ... - November 10th, 2017
- Termite Threats - Hilton Head Exterminators - October 31st, 2017
- Indy ranks eighth-worst for bed bugs - Fox 59 - August 27th, 2017
- Phoenix AZ Exterminator, Pest Control & Termite Inspector - August 21st, 2017
- Bug Busters - Laredo Morning Times - August 6th, 2017
- San Antonio Exterminator, Pest Control & Termite - Orkin.com - August 5th, 2017
- Professional Termite & Pest Control - Yelp - August 5th, 2017
- Have mice in your Lake Tahoe home? You're not alone! - South Tahoe Now - August 3rd, 2017
- One of country's largest pest control companies, based in Reading ... - Lehigh Valley Business - August 1st, 2017
Click Free Exterminator Quote
to fill in a form to obtain a free exterminator quote today.