Click Free Pest Control Quote
to fill in a form to obtain a free pest control quote today.
They’ve been around for the past 300 million years, outlasting the dinosaurs and teaming up with evolution to outsmart our attempts to get rid of them. Now, Japanese researchers at Hokkaido University have revealed yet another reason why we have been unable to put a dent in their populations: female solidarity.
Cockroaches, along with termites, snakes and sharks, have long been known to be capable of “virgin birth” or parthenogenesis, a form of asexual reproduction that occurs without fertilization. What is less known are the factors that trigger this process. Is the absence of male cockroaches the only condition necessary for asexual reproduction to take place or does the social environment play a part too? Given that cockroaches are social creatures that live in groups, the Hokkaido University researchers believed that there had to be factors other than male-absent conditions.
More than 700 New Atlas Plus subscribers read our newsletter and website without ads.
Join them for just US$19 a year.
To test their hypothesis, the researchers conducted 11 sets of experiments with different groups of American cockroaches, a common pest. The control group comprised a male and female that were allowed to mate. Others comprised virgin females that were kept in isolation; in groups of up to five; and with castrated males. In addition, the researchers also added female sex pheromones which are secreted in greater quantities by virgin females than those that have already mated to containers housing single roaches to see if they would regard it as a male-absent signal and produce more eggs as a result.
What they found was that group-housed females, especially those with three or more insects, produced egg cases faster than any other group. In addition, the egg cases were produced in a synchronized manner. Bizarrely enough, this behavior was shared even by those kept in different containers. Furthermore, the group-housed females also produced their second batch of egg cases at shorter intervals than those kept alone (an average of 18 versus 27 days).
On the other hand, the presence of the castrated males and female sex pheromones did little to boost the production process. The researchers had included the former to find out what effect (if any) cohabitants of a different sex would have on the egg-laying process and discovered that it took the female cockroaches that were grouped with the castrated males almost the same amount of time to produce egg cases as the isolated specimens, thus suggesting that the promotion of asexual production depends on the females being able to discern the cohabitants’ sex.
There was also a difference in the viability of the eggs. Only 30 percent of those laid asexually hatched, compared to around 47 percent of the ones produced by sexual reproduction. This could explain why the egg production process ramps up when virgin female cockroaches are grouped together, say the researchers. Synchronizing egg production in grouped females might result in their offspring hatching at around the same time. The nymphs would be able to increase their fitness by aggregation and the sharing of resources, which could counter the lower hatching rate of the asexually produced eggs.
According to the scientists, the female solidarity exhibited in this experiment is consistent with other observations of roach behavior. Rarely do fights ever break out among unmated females that are housed in the same container. Instead, they are often found huddling close together, whereas unmated males paired together will often fight until the antennae of both individuals are amputated.
That said, while the hatchability rate of asexually produced eggs is generally lower than those laid via conventional means, the roaches that hatch from these eggs are nevertheless still able to form and maintain a colony for at least three generations without a male’s input, as evidenced by the colony that formed when the researchers placed 15 random adult females in a container. Just over three years later, it had grown to comprise more than 300 females with nymphs and adults of different ages. Since they were kept in optimal conditions in the lab, the researchers estimate that some of the roaches may have even reached the fifth generation.
The all-female cockroach colony that spawned from the 15 females that Japanese researchers placed together in a container (Credit: Kato K. et al., Zoological Letters)
“Our study shows that female cockroaches promote asexual egg production when they are together, not alone,” says researcher Hiroshi Nishino. “This is consistent with the fact that progenies produced by fifteen females in a larger container have maintained a colony for more than three years, whereas those produced by one female die out fairly quickly. In addition to the increased fecundity of group-housed females, the synchronized egg production could also assure higher survival rates via the aggregation of similar-aged larvae.”
While this may be an impressive feat of female solidarity in the insect world, it does not bode well for human societies. Given that female American cockroaches already have several advantages over males that allow them to adapt to new habitats for a start, they have longer lifespans and their larger body size protects them from environmental changes their ability to reproduce asexually and maintain colonies for several generations makes them a health threat to be reckoned with, given the way they transfer disease. Hence the importance of understanding how they reproduce so that more effective cockroach traps can be built, say the researchers.
“The traps utilizing sex pheromones to attract only male cockroaches are not sufficient,” says Nishino. “Understanding the physiological mechanism behind the reproductive strategies should help us find more effective ways to exterminate pest cockroaches in the future.”
The study was published in the Zoological Letters.
Source: Hokkaido University
- Termite and Pest Control Los Angeles, CA - Western Exterminator - May 27th, 2019
- Termite Service | Termite Extermination | Termite Inspection - May 27th, 2019
- Termite Control & Removal | California - April 14th, 2019
- Four Steps Involved in a Termite Extermination Service ... - April 6th, 2019
- Termite Inspections, Extermination, & Damage Repair ... - April 4th, 2019
- Termite Treatments NJ | Get Rid Of Termites - April 1st, 2019
- Termite Spray | Termite Poison & Control Chemicals ... - March 6th, 2019
- Smithfield | Clegg's Termite and Pest Control - March 2nd, 2019
- The Best Termite Companies Near Me (with Free Estimates) - February 28th, 2019
- Pest Control Services in Indiana | Yes Pest Pros, Inc. - February 13th, 2019
- Charlotte | Clegg's Termite and Pest Control - February 12th, 2019
- Seattle Pest Control & Exterminators 206-736-7378 Guardian ... - February 3rd, 2019
- Termite Pest Control in Santa Clara County, CA - January 30th, 2019
- Ashburn, VA Exterminator, Pest Control & Termite Inspector - January 14th, 2019
- Grayson Termite & Pest Control - 109 Reviews - Pest ... - January 9th, 2019
- Bellevue Termite Exterminator - Bellevue Pest Control Pros - September 29th, 2018
- Southlake Termite Exterminator - Southlake Pest Control Pros - September 29th, 2018
- Peoria Termite Exterminator - Peoria Pest Control Pros - September 29th, 2018
- Columbus Termite Exterminator - Columbus Pest Control Pros - September 29th, 2018
- Termite Control Panama City | Termite Treatment Enterprise ... - September 29th, 2018
- 24 Best Pest Control Companies - South Plainfield NJ ... - September 19th, 2018
- How Much Does It Cost To Get Rid Of Termites? - September 16th, 2018
- Pest Control & Termite Extermination on the Delmarva Peninsula - September 6th, 2018
- Hawkeye Exterminators - Pest Control, Bed Bugs and Termite ... - May 10th, 2018
- Termites: How to Identify and Control Them | US EPA - February 5th, 2018
- Subterranean Termite Control Products - Pestmall.com - December 3rd, 2017
- Termite Control - Arrow Exterminators - November 21st, 2017
- Senate Pest Control - Senate Termite Control - November 17th, 2017
- Termite Inspection Cost - Do My Own - November 17th, 2017
- Termite Control, Extermination & Bonds by Nader's Pest Raiders - November 5th, 2017
- Termite Treatment Equipment | Shop at QSpray.com - November 5th, 2017
- Termite Control with The Termite Inspector Company - September 1st, 2017
- Su Named UF Foundation Term Professor for Outstanding Termite Research - Newswise (press release) - September 1st, 2017
- IPM Experience House Features Sentricon System - PCT Magazine - September 1st, 2017
- Termite Treatment Cost (INSPECTION & EXTERMINATION) - August 9th, 2017
- Margaret Kuo's restaurant reopens - Main Line - August 1st, 2017
- How Francis Mallmann feeds the rich and famous with food from the fire - Telegraph.co.uk - July 30th, 2017
- Rollins, Inc. Enjoys Broad-Based Growth -- The Motley Fool - Motley Fool - July 30th, 2017
- Tiger Termite & Pest Control | Eco-Friendly Pest Solutions - July 12th, 2017
- Intensive Pest Control Offers Free Termite Inspections in Fountain Valley and surrounding areas - Digital Journal (press release) - June 30th, 2017
- Termite-Tented Homes Targeted By Burglar - Patch.com - June 26th, 2017
- Marin Termite Control - Diamond Certified - June 23rd, 2017
- Cummings Termite & Pest - 480-994-9599 | #1 Pest Control Provider - June 23rd, 2017
- Milwaukee Pest Control Pros Redesigns Their Website - Digital Journal - June 20th, 2017
- Can't Tent for Termites - 7News - WSVN-TV - June 15th, 2017
- Fundraiser to be held Saturday for repairs to Oostanaula School Community Club - Northwest Georgia News - June 14th, 2017
- Lighthouse Point Termite Control - Termite Pest Control - June 12th, 2017
- Keller @ Large: Don't Mess With The Big Blue Bug - CBS Boston / WBZ - June 7th, 2017
- Digital Journal: A Global Digital Media Network - Digital Journal - June 6th, 2017
- Why Choose Pest Control Singapore - Good Herald - June 4th, 2017
- Man accused of burglarizing tented home skips out on arraignment - fox5sandiego.com - June 1st, 2017
- Termite Structural Damage - Heavy Damage from Termite ... - June 1st, 2017
- Termite & Bed Bugs Perspicacious Institute | Cockroach ... - June 1st, 2017
- Industry Mourns Loss of Norm Cooper - PCT Magazine - May 31st, 2017
- Pest Control Singapore Experts Are Opening a New Branch: Welcoming Perth Pest Control Australia - Digital Journal - May 31st, 2017
- Termite Tented Home in Carlsbad Broken Into - Times of San Diego - May 28th, 2017
- Escondido Man Burglarized Home During Termite Extermination: Police - Patch.com - May 27th, 2017
- Caught On Video: Burglar in gas mask breaks into tented home - CBS 8 San Diego - May 25th, 2017
- Burglar wearing respirator breaks into tented home - fox5sandiego.com - May 25th, 2017
- Note from the field: Bedbugs likely to continue biting - News Sentinel - May 25th, 2017
- Ipswich Pest Control Professionals Expands Service Area - MilTech - May 23rd, 2017
- Termite Control & Termite Treatment | Solutions Pest & Lawn - May 22nd, 2017
- Facts about Termites - A1 Exterminators - May 22nd, 2017
- Termite Control Gilbert / Chandler / Phoenix Metro | Magic ... - May 22nd, 2017
- Termite Control - PermaTreat Pest Control - May 21st, 2017
- Termite Control & Extermination - Arrow Exterminators - May 21st, 2017
- - www.PrimeTermite.com - May 20th, 2017
- Shawville school still waiting for answers on mystery bug bites ... - Ottawa Sun - May 20th, 2017
- Shawville school remains open despite bug bites - Ottawa Sun - May 19th, 2017
- Kellyanne Conway is a collaborator in the US's disgrace. Feminists must criticise her actions - The Guardian - May 17th, 2017
- Rollins, Inc. (ROL) Reaches $40.16 High on May, 11; Assembly Biosciences (ASMB) Shorts Down By 14.81% - NormanObserver.com - May 11th, 2017
- Carpenter Ants Infiltrating Greater Seattle Area Homes and commercial business buildings - MENAFN.COM - May 10th, 2017
- Bigfoot Pest Control Services Area Expands To Chicago and Surroundings - Digital Journal - May 8th, 2017
- Action Pest Management Is 30 Years Strong / iBerkshires.com - The ... - iBerkshires.com - May 8th, 2017
- Danielle Goh - The Middle Ground - May 8th, 2017
- Termite Extermination | Termite Control - May 7th, 2017
- Termite and Pest Control services - primetermite.com - May 7th, 2017
- The Weirdest Alternate Versions of the Guardians of the Galaxy - CBR (blog) - May 7th, 2017
- Police: 10 arrested after marijuana found by teacher in child's Easter egg basket - KOKH FOX25 - May 6th, 2017
- It pays to do work for the Workers' Party - The Middle Ground - May 6th, 2017
Click Free Exterminator Quote
to fill in a form to obtain a free exterminator quote today.