Click Free Pest Control Quote
to fill in a form to obtain a free pest control quote today.
With a heavily armed talking raccoon and a dance-loving alien tree on the team, the Guardians of the Galaxy are already one of the weirder superhero squads in the Marvel Universe. With origins in Marvels cosmic comics from the 1970s, the earliest appearances of most of the individual Guardians occurred in fairly trippy, psychedelic stories. Since the modern Guardians officially came together in the 2008 crossover Annihilation: Conquest, even stranger things have happened during their adventures. With headquarters in the head of a dead cosmic entity and a telepathic canine cosmonaut among its members, the strangeness of the Guardians has defined the team for the better part of a decade.
RELATED: Altered States: 15 Alternate Versions of Captain America
Despite their inherent weirdness, the Guardians of the Galaxy have become unlikely cinematic superstars. Instead of limiting the Guardians wider cultural appeal, their eccentricities have taken center stage in blockbuster films like Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2. Now, CBR is taking a look back at some of the weirdest alternate versions of the Guardians of the Galaxy. For this list, well be pulling from alternate realities, cartoons and the history of the main Marvel Universe to find some of the oddest versions of the team and its individual members.
In 2015, the Marvel crossover Secret Wars gave readers a look into some of the publishers most famous alternate realities. One of those worlds was Marvel 1602, where Marvels heroes emerged an Elizabethan era world created by Neil Gaiman and Andy Kubert. The Guardians made their debut in this world in the miniseries, 1602 Witch Hunter Angela, by Marguerite Bennett and Stephanie Hans.
In that Secret Wars tie-in, the Guardians were a troupe of theater performers called the Gardiners Men. Although Groot was replaced by the silent human Goodman Root and Rocket was merely a hyper-intelligent raccoon, the group included recognizable versions of the main Guardians. After they were saved from a group of creatures by the angelic mutant hunter Angela, they helped her fight an Elizabethan version of Venom and spread word of Angelas exploits after she defeated the Enchantress.
Even though Star-Lord was created in 1974s Marvel Preview #4, by Steve Englehart, Steve Gan and Bob McLeod, he didnt officially join the Marvel Universe until 2004. Due to various continuity issues, his 1970s adventures across several of Marvels black-and-white magazines and anthology titles were retroactively said to have taken place in an alternate reality.
In that world, Peter Quill was orphaned after Arigulan aliens killed his mother. As an adult, he joined NASA and encountered an alien entity, the Master of the Sun, who was recruiting a Star-Lord for an intergalactic police force. Although the Master chose one of Quills colleagues, the arrogant Quill took his place and became Star-Lord. After helping his new trainee get over the death of his mother, the Master gave this Star-Lord a sentient space ship before the character fell into obscurity for decades.
In the Secret Wars crossover, Doctor Doom saved parts of the multiverse by combining several of Marvels parallel worlds into a concentrated area called Battleworld. As revealed in Jonathan Hickman and Esad Ribics Secret Wars #2, Doom used a group of alternate reality Thors called the Thor Corps to police this new realm. One of these Thors was a version of the beloved Guardians member Groot.
While he didnt have a starring role and his history wasnt explored, this Groot Thor was apparently worthy enough to lift Thors hammer Mjolnir. In a handful of appearances, this Groot was seen apprehending a murderer and investigating an unrelated murder with some other Thors. Before the multiverse was restored at the end of the crossover, Thor Groot was also part of a Thor squad that tried to keep two universes from interacting in Ultimate End.
In 2014, Marvel launched a series of alternate universe titles that imagined what Marvels heroes might look like in 2061, a century after Marvel entered the Silver Age of Comics. In Andy Lanning, Ron Marz and Gustavo Duartes 100th Anniversary Special: Guardians of the Galaxy, this future incarnation of the team worked to stop the threat of the world-devouring Silver Galactus.
In the issue, the Guardians were led by Gamora, who had become Star-Lord, and consisted of Drax, Groot, Rocket Raccoon, the space soldier Charlie-27 and the digital consciousness of Iron Man. They fought former Star-Lord Peter Quill, who had become Galactus herald Vance Astro. While they were trying to save their base Knowhere, Quill betrayed Galactus and revealed his true identity to his old teammates in the specials final pages.
Several of Marvels super-pets teamed up to search for the Infinity Gems and formed their own super-group in the 2009 miniseries Lockjaw and the Pet Avengers, by Chris Eliopoulos and Ig Guara. Over the next few years, this alternate reality team starred in a few stories where the Inhumans Lockjaw, Falcons falcon Red Wing, the X-Mens dragon Lockheed and Frog Thor took the spotlight.
In their most recent appearance, the Pet Avengers teamed up with Rocket Raccoon in 2015s Guardians Team-Up #5, by Andy Lanning, Andy Schmidt and Gustavo Duarte. In this light-hearted tale, Rocket and Cosmo the Spacedog saved Earths Mightiest Animals from the Pets of Evil Masters. After that, the animal heroes teamed up to fight back the pint-sized peril of Grott the Planet-Slayer before settling in for a few rounds of poker at Rockets base, Knowhere.
During Brian Michael Bendis runs on All-New X-Men and Guardians of the Galaxy, the space-faring Star-Lord and the earthbound X-Man Kitty Pryde began a very long-distance relationship. Despite their differences, this unlikely couple became engaged and joined the Guardians in space. Shortly after this, Quill was chosen to take his fathers place as the leader of the Spartax Empire.
In 2015s Guardians of the Galaxy #1, by Bendis and Valerio Schiti, Pryde took her fiances identity and his place with the Guardians as the new Star-Lord. While on the team, Pryde and the Guardians battled foes like Yotat the Destroyer and Hala the Accuser. Although Quill was eventually deposed and rejoined the group, the couple had a tense relationship and their engagement dissolved. After the Guardians fell to Earth during the crossover Civil War II, Pryde left her space-faring days behind her and rejoined the X-Men as their new leader.
Long before Baby Groot charmed his way into the hearts of the general public, the original Groot terrorized the Marvel Universe in 1960. In Stan Lee, Jack Kirby and Dick Ayers Tales to Astonish #13, the first Groot claimed to be the monarch of Planet X and came to Earth to take a small town back to his homeworld for study and experimentation.
Although the local authorities tried to subdue the talkative tree, bullets and fire had no effect on the wooden giant. After commanding the trees of a nearby forest to encase the town, this Groot was ultimately defeated when biologist Leslie Evans used termites to defeat him. This Groot was eventually recovered by the Collector and healed back to health. After a brief stint helping several other creatures in S.H.I.E.L.Ds Howling Commandos fight Merlin, Groot settled on Monster Island with other early Marvel monsters.
After years of being relegated to an afterthought, several of Marvels cosmic characters were given new life during the 2006 crossover Annihilation. In this crossover, Annihilus led a bug monster invasion force from the Negative Zone called the Annihilation Wave. While the Annihilation Wave carved a path of destruction through half of the outer Marvel Universe, Marvels space heroes were able to decimate their forces before they reached Earth after Drax freed a kidnapped Galactus.
In 2006s What If The Annihilation Wave Reached Earth?, that didnt happen. In David Hine, Mico Suayan and Rafael Kayanans tale, Drax was consumed by his bloodlust for Thanos and inadvertently killed Galactus while trying to free him. With Drax and Silver Surfer among the dead, the Annihilation Wave reached Earth in the middle of Civil War. Although Earths heroes and the Inhumans successfully turned back the invasion, there were heavy casualties that included Nova, Iron Man and Captain America.
In another Secret Wars tie-in miniseries, The Infinity Gauntlet, the Annihilation Wave also reached Earth. In that alternate reality series by Gerry Duggan and Dustin Weaver, the young Anwen Bakian and her family tried to survive in an utterly destroyed world. After finding one of the Infinity Stones, her mother, a Nova, returned and deputized the rest of the family into the Corps.
After being joined by Thanos, the Bakians decided to use the Infinity Gauntlet to exterminate the Wave. As they began to gather the Stones, the eventually came across Star-Lord, Gamora and Groot, who were all protecting Stones. After Thanos unsurprisingly betrayed the group, the three Guardians all became members of the familys makeshift Nova Corps. While the Bakian family worked to defeat Thanos, these Nova-powered Guardians apparently gave their lives while fending off the monsters of the Annihilation Wave.
While it wasnt as successful as Marvels other animated ventures, the Silver Surfer starred in Silver Surfer: The Animated Series in 1998. With heavily serialized stories and animation inspired by Jack Kirbys artwork, this cartoon gave the Surfer and Marvels space heroes their first dedicated showcase on television.
During the shows only season, a few familiar Guardians members appeared in drastically different forms. In the show, Drax was an android who worked with Thanos scientist brother Mentor before befriending the Surfer. Gamora was part of a group called the Wanderers, who hunted the Surfer down and put him on trial for the crimes of his master Galactus. The Guardians occasional ally Nebula even appeared as a space pirate who tried to steal the Watchers Universal Library. While the show received decent reviews, it was ultimately canceled after 13 episodes.
The Guardians newest cinematic member, Mantis, was originally created in 1973s Avengers #112 by Steve Englehart, Don Heck and Frank Bolle. With her empathic powers and martial arts skill, she joined the Avengers for a few years during throughout Engleharts run on the title. After discovering that she was the Celestial Madonna, she left the title to give birth to a cosmic being.
Englehart took Mantis with him when he went to work for DC Comics. In 1977s Justice League of America #142, by Englehart, Dick Dillin and Frank McLaughlin, the renamed Willow worked with the League to fight a mechanical being called the Construct for two issues before leaving to give birth again. While Englehart renamed her Lorelai and took her to his creator-owned work in 1983, the official Mantis has continued on in the Marvel Universe as a hero, villain and Guardian of the Galaxy over the years.
In 2014, Marvel attempted to localize its characters for the Japanese market with the anime Marvel Disk Wars: The Avengers. In that 52 episode series, several of Marvels heroes effectively became Pokmon after being trapped in Pok Ball-esque DISKs that could only be opened by kids with a special biocode.
Despite the shows odd set-up, the Guardians played a fairly familiar role. After stealing the super-powerful Kree Mact from Ronan the Accuser, the Guardians fell to Earth, where Rocket Racoon and Groot were detained by S.H.I.E.L.D. After a brief battle with the Avengers, the two teams worked together to defeat Ronan at the urging of series protagonist Akira Akatsuki. Near the end of the series, the Guardians returned to Earth, where they helped Earths Mightiest Heroes fight the combined threat of Dormammu and Loki in the shows climactic battle.
By the mid-1990s, Star-Lord hadnt appeared in a comic book for over a decade. Despite that eras popular cosmic titles like The Infinity Gauntlet, Peter Quill was nothing but a distant memory. In 1996, Timothy Zahn and Dan Lawlis turned their attention to the original Star-Lords successor in the fully-painted miniseries Starlord.
Over three issues, Sinjin Quarrel became Marvels second Star-Lord. After being sent to a backwater planet, the young alien telepath found the wreckage of Star-Lords Ship, which had been missing for 12 years. After helping the sentient vessel regain its memories and fight the alien kingpin Lawgiver Damyish, he was given Quills old helmet and Element Gun and became the new Star-Lord. Since his adventures directly referenced the original Star-Lord, its somewhat unclear where Quarrell fits in with the larger Marvel Multiverse.
Since 1977, Spider-Man has starred in the daily newspaper comic strip The Amazing Spider-Man. While strip was originally by Stan Lee and John Romita, its been the work of Lee, his brother Larry Lieber, Alex Saviuk and Joe Sinnott since 1997. Since the web-slinging adventures of Spider-Man are limited to just a few exposition-filled panels a day, even the simplest story can take weeks or months to unfold. Despite the limitations of the format, the strip has established its own decades-long continuity with most of Spider-Mans supporting cast and villains.
Over the past few years, Spider-Man has teamed up with some of Marvels other more notable cinematic heroes. From late 2016 through early 2017, Spider-Man fought Ronan the Accuser with an insult-hurling Rocket Raccoon. Although the heroes originally came to blows, they joined together to save Albuquerque, New Mexico from Ronan and a mechanized Kree Sentry.
SPOILER WARNING: The following entry contains minor spoilers for Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2.
Long before the modern Guardians formed, the original Guardians of the Galaxy protected a future alternate reality. Starting in 1969s Marvel Super-Heroes #18, by Arnold Drake and Gene Colan, the team worked in the 31st century to save the Solar System from a Badoon invasion. With the help of the time-displaced astronaut Vance Astro, Yondu, Martinex, Charlie-27, and Starhawk were able to defeat the Badoon and the cosmic villain Korvac.
After years of irregular appearances, the Guardians of the Galaxy starred in a successful series from 1990 until 1995. After fading into the background during the formation of the other Guardians, the original team starred in the short-lived series Guardians 3000in 2014. Almost 50 years after their creation, the original Guardians made their cinematic debut as a group of Ravagers in Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, where they appear to have an unseen history in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
Stay tuned to CBR for all the latest on the Guardians of the Galaxy and Marvel Comics. Let us know what your favorite alternate take on the team is in the comments below!
See the original post:
The Weirdest Alternate Versions of the Guardians of the Galaxy – CBR (blog)
- Termite and Pest Control Los Angeles, CA - Western Exterminator - May 27th, 2019
- Termite Service | Termite Extermination | Termite Inspection - May 27th, 2019
- Termite Control & Removal | California - April 14th, 2019
- Four Steps Involved in a Termite Extermination Service ... - April 6th, 2019
- Termite Inspections, Extermination, & Damage Repair ... - April 4th, 2019
- Termite Treatments NJ | Get Rid Of Termites - April 1st, 2019
- Termite Spray | Termite Poison & Control Chemicals ... - March 6th, 2019
- Smithfield | Clegg's Termite and Pest Control - March 2nd, 2019
- The Best Termite Companies Near Me (with Free Estimates) - February 28th, 2019
- Pest Control Services in Indiana | Yes Pest Pros, Inc. - February 13th, 2019
- Charlotte | Clegg's Termite and Pest Control - February 12th, 2019
- Seattle Pest Control & Exterminators 206-736-7378 Guardian ... - February 3rd, 2019
- Termite Pest Control in Santa Clara County, CA - January 30th, 2019
- Ashburn, VA Exterminator, Pest Control & Termite Inspector - January 14th, 2019
- Grayson Termite & Pest Control - 109 Reviews - Pest ... - January 9th, 2019
- Bellevue Termite Exterminator - Bellevue Pest Control Pros - September 29th, 2018
- Southlake Termite Exterminator - Southlake Pest Control Pros - September 29th, 2018
- Peoria Termite Exterminator - Peoria Pest Control Pros - September 29th, 2018
- Columbus Termite Exterminator - Columbus Pest Control Pros - September 29th, 2018
- Termite Control Panama City | Termite Treatment Enterprise ... - September 29th, 2018
- 24 Best Pest Control Companies - South Plainfield NJ ... - September 19th, 2018
- How Much Does It Cost To Get Rid Of Termites? - September 16th, 2018
- Pest Control & Termite Extermination on the Delmarva Peninsula - September 6th, 2018
- Hawkeye Exterminators - Pest Control, Bed Bugs and Termite ... - May 10th, 2018
- Termites: How to Identify and Control Them | US EPA - February 5th, 2018
- Subterranean Termite Control Products - Pestmall.com - December 3rd, 2017
- Termite Control - Arrow Exterminators - November 21st, 2017
- Senate Pest Control - Senate Termite Control - November 17th, 2017
- Termite Inspection Cost - Do My Own - November 17th, 2017
- Termite Control, Extermination & Bonds by Nader's Pest Raiders - November 5th, 2017
- Termite Treatment Equipment | Shop at QSpray.com - November 5th, 2017
- Termite Control with The Termite Inspector Company - September 1st, 2017
- Su Named UF Foundation Term Professor for Outstanding Termite Research - Newswise (press release) - September 1st, 2017
- IPM Experience House Features Sentricon System - PCT Magazine - September 1st, 2017
- Termite Treatment Cost (INSPECTION & EXTERMINATION) - August 9th, 2017
- Margaret Kuo's restaurant reopens - Main Line - August 1st, 2017
- How Francis Mallmann feeds the rich and famous with food from the fire - Telegraph.co.uk - July 30th, 2017
- Rollins, Inc. Enjoys Broad-Based Growth -- The Motley Fool - Motley Fool - July 30th, 2017
- Tiger Termite & Pest Control | Eco-Friendly Pest Solutions - July 12th, 2017
- Intensive Pest Control Offers Free Termite Inspections in Fountain Valley and surrounding areas - Digital Journal (press release) - June 30th, 2017
- Termite-Tented Homes Targeted By Burglar - Patch.com - June 26th, 2017
- Marin Termite Control - Diamond Certified - June 23rd, 2017
- Cummings Termite & Pest - 480-994-9599 | #1 Pest Control Provider - June 23rd, 2017
- Milwaukee Pest Control Pros Redesigns Their Website - Digital Journal - June 20th, 2017
- Can't Tent for Termites - 7News - WSVN-TV - June 15th, 2017
- Fundraiser to be held Saturday for repairs to Oostanaula School Community Club - Northwest Georgia News - June 14th, 2017
- Lighthouse Point Termite Control - Termite Pest Control - June 12th, 2017
- Keller @ Large: Don't Mess With The Big Blue Bug - CBS Boston / WBZ - June 7th, 2017
- Digital Journal: A Global Digital Media Network - Digital Journal - June 6th, 2017
- Why Choose Pest Control Singapore - Good Herald - June 4th, 2017
- Man accused of burglarizing tented home skips out on arraignment - fox5sandiego.com - June 1st, 2017
- Termite Structural Damage - Heavy Damage from Termite ... - June 1st, 2017
- Termite & Bed Bugs Perspicacious Institute | Cockroach ... - June 1st, 2017
- Industry Mourns Loss of Norm Cooper - PCT Magazine - May 31st, 2017
- Pest Control Singapore Experts Are Opening a New Branch: Welcoming Perth Pest Control Australia - Digital Journal - May 31st, 2017
- Termite Tented Home in Carlsbad Broken Into - Times of San Diego - May 28th, 2017
- Escondido Man Burglarized Home During Termite Extermination: Police - Patch.com - May 27th, 2017
- Caught On Video: Burglar in gas mask breaks into tented home - CBS 8 San Diego - May 25th, 2017
- Burglar wearing respirator breaks into tented home - fox5sandiego.com - May 25th, 2017
- Note from the field: Bedbugs likely to continue biting - News Sentinel - May 25th, 2017
- Ipswich Pest Control Professionals Expands Service Area - MilTech - May 23rd, 2017
- Termite Control & Termite Treatment | Solutions Pest & Lawn - May 22nd, 2017
- Facts about Termites - A1 Exterminators - May 22nd, 2017
- Termite Control Gilbert / Chandler / Phoenix Metro | Magic ... - May 22nd, 2017
- Termite Control - PermaTreat Pest Control - May 21st, 2017
- Termite Control & Extermination - Arrow Exterminators - May 21st, 2017
- - www.PrimeTermite.com - May 20th, 2017
- Shawville school still waiting for answers on mystery bug bites ... - Ottawa Sun - May 20th, 2017
- Shawville school remains open despite bug bites - Ottawa Sun - May 19th, 2017
- Kellyanne Conway is a collaborator in the US's disgrace. Feminists must criticise her actions - The Guardian - May 17th, 2017
- Rollins, Inc. (ROL) Reaches $40.16 High on May, 11; Assembly Biosciences (ASMB) Shorts Down By 14.81% - NormanObserver.com - May 11th, 2017
- Carpenter Ants Infiltrating Greater Seattle Area Homes and commercial business buildings - MENAFN.COM - May 10th, 2017
- Bigfoot Pest Control Services Area Expands To Chicago and Surroundings - Digital Journal - May 8th, 2017
- Action Pest Management Is 30 Years Strong / iBerkshires.com - The ... - iBerkshires.com - May 8th, 2017
- Danielle Goh - The Middle Ground - May 8th, 2017
- Termite Extermination | Termite Control - May 7th, 2017
- Termite and Pest Control services - primetermite.com - May 7th, 2017
- Police: 10 arrested after marijuana found by teacher in child's Easter egg basket - KOKH FOX25 - May 6th, 2017
- It pays to do work for the Workers' Party - The Middle Ground - May 6th, 2017
- Google Technology Is Helping Exterminators Kill Bugs Faster - BuzzFeed News - May 4th, 2017
Click Free Exterminator Quote
to fill in a form to obtain a free exterminator quote today.